While studies show that smart thermostats can knock money off of your energy bills, the amount of money is determined by various factors. You will need to take into consideration the age and efficiency of your boiler and also the level of insulation in your home.
How do smart thermostats save money?
The only real way to spend less is to heat less and this is exactly what smart thermostats do. What makes smart thermostats smart is their ability to learn your schedule and control the temperature when you won’t even notice. These devices are always ‘watching’, they know when you’re awake, asleep and whether you’re in or out. Having this information allows them to create an individual and efficient heating schedule that best suits you. Pretty smart right?
Hive active heating
Thinking of upgrading your home by installing a Hive thermostat? Hive active heating allows you to:
- Save up to £130 a year on your energy bills
- Control your heating from anywhere – through the Hive app
- Schedule your heating – set up to 6 different time slots for your heating and hot water
- Know when you have left the heating on – Hive has ‘Geolocation’ so it knows when you’ve gone out and left the heating on, it can also send you a reminder to turn it off!
Nest learning thermostat
A nest thermostat learns your schedule and the temperature you like to have at certain times throughout the day. While this sound a little creepy, Nest say their learning thermostat “Programs itself, then pays for itself”. So what does a Nest thermostat do?
- Energy reports – Nest provides you with daily energy reports and tips on how to save energy!
- Auto-programming – Nest learns the temperatures you like and programs itself, saving you time.
- Nest leaf – When you set the thermostat to a temperature that’s energy efficient a leaf will show on the Nest.
- Safety for your system – Nest thermostat will send an alert to your phone if there is a problem with your heating system such as low temperatures outside which could cause your condensate pipe to freeze.
How to install a smart thermostat
While anyone can operate a smart thermostat, not just anyone can install one. It is essential that you have a trained engineer install one of these thermostats for you as not only is it a dangerous job, it may also void your manufacturers warranty if you attempt to do it yourself.