Glow Worm Boilers
Why Glow Worm?
As one of the leading heating manufacturers in the UK, Glow Worm have been producing boilers for over 80 years. Glow Worm pride themselves on their “exceptional and durable energy solutions”, which are all manufactured at their factory in Derbyshire.
What boiler type do I need?
Deciding which boiler will make an efficient and practical fit with your home and lifestyle can be confusing. The images below show the main system types, how they work, their advantages and what kind of homes they work best in.
If your new boiler is going to be fitted onto your existing system, please consider the cleanliness of your existing pipework and radiators as this could cause damage to your new boiler. All our boilers are installed by one of our gas safe registered engineers and come with a manufacturers warranty. For more information please contact us at 0131 445 1457 or email at [email protected]
A combination or ‘combi’ boiler is both a high efficiency water heater and a central heating boiler in a single compact unit. Combi boilers heat water directly from the mains when you turn on a tap, so you won’t need a hot water storage cylinder or a cold water storage tank in the roof space.
They are also very cost-effective and energy-efficient as water is heated instantly rather than being heated and then stored in a cylinder. An added benefit is that hot water is delivered at mains pressure, which means that you could get a powerful shower without the need for a separate pump.
- Compact sizes make combi boilers perfect for smaller properties
- Ideal where there is little or no loft space
- No need for a hot water cylinder or cold water storage tank allows increased living space
- Less pipework in the home makes the installation typically cheaper
System boilers require a cylinder for storing hot water, however the major heating and hot water system components are built into the boiler itself, making it quicker and easier to install. In addition, there is no need for a tank in the loft, so it can be an option in a home with little or no loft space or where the space is reserved for a conversion.
These boilers are also compatible with solar water heating systems, which are not only environmentally friendly but are also great for reducing your energy bills.
- Ideal for homes with more than one bathroom
- Constant supply of hot water to multiple taps at the same time
- No need for a loft tank, freeing up space and eliminating worries about leaks or frost damage
- Economical to run
- Built-in components makes installation quicker and neater
Regular boilers (also known as traditional, conventional or heat only boilers) are ideally suited to homes that already have a traditional heating and hot water system which is linked to a separate hot water cylinder and water tank.
A regular boiler may be the best option for replacing an existing boiler if the property has a dated radiator system, as it might not be able to cope with the higher water pressure that is delivered by system or combi boilers.
- Perfect for homes where a lot of hot water is used at the same time
- Ideal where there are two or more bathrooms
- A good option in areas where water pressure is low
- Compatible with solar water heating systems for a lower carbon footprint and lower energy bills
For any quieries about buying a new boiler, servicing or repair, please contact us on 0131 445 1457. You can also email us at [email protected] or fill in our enquiry form below. We offer free quotations for our work if you would like an idea of the price.
The Signal Box
5 Appin Lane
0131 445 1457